Prep time: 30 mins / Cook time: 20 mins / Serves: 4
You will need:
- 2kg defrosted half-shell Mediterranean mussels, rinsed
- 250ml fresh cream
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- Butter, for frying
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- Coarse ground sea salt and black pepper
- A handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Place a casserole dish over medium heat and sauté the chopped onion in the butter until translucent. Simmer the mixture for another minute then deglaze the dish with the white wine. Reduce by half and then add the cream and the crushed garlic. Season to taste, going easy on the salt. Once the sauce has thickened, add in the mussels, as their liquid will loosen up the sauce again. Turn the heat to medium and place all the mussels into the sauce.
To serve, stir the mussels through the sauce and divide between four warmed bowls. Scatter the chopped parsley over each bowl. Serve the mussels immediately with lemon slices to squeeze over the top and fresh crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
– Recipe developed by Georgia East